Facts of Glivec (imatinib mesylate)?
- Medicine Name: Glivec
- Generic Name: Iatinib mesylate/imatinib mesylate
- Approval Date: 11/21/2001
- Company Name: Novartis Pharmaceutical K.K.
- Available as (Form & Strength): Capsules 100 mg.
Indications and Usage?
Glivec is also used to treat adults for
- myelodysplastic / myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD). These are a group of blood diseases in which some blood cells start growing out of control.
- Aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM). It is a cancer in which certain blood cells, called “mast” cells, grow out of control
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and or chronic eosinophilic leukaemia (CEL). These are blood diseases in which some blood cells, named “eosinophils”, start growing out of control.
- gastro-intestinal stromal tumours (GIST). This is a type of cancer of the stomach and bowels. This cancer affects the tissue that surrounds the stomach and bowels and the cells grow uncontrollably
- dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP). DFSP is a cancer of the tissue beneath the skin in which some cells start growing out of control.