Facts of Bydureon (exenatide)
- Medicine Name: BYDUREON
- Generic Name: exenatide
- Approval Date: 02/28/2014
- Company Name: Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Available as (Form & Strength): 2 mg exenatide for extended-release injectable suspension
What is indication and usage?
- BYDUREON is a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist indicated as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus in multiple clinical settingsBYDUREON is an extended-release fo rmulation of exenatide. Do not co-administer with BYETTA.
Limitation of Use
- Not recommended as first-line therapy for patients inadequately controlled on diet and exercise
- Should not be used to treat type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis
- Use with insulin has not been studied and is not recommended
- Has not been studied in patients with a history of pancreatitis. Consider other antidiabetic therapies in patients with a history of pancreatitis
What is BYDUREON ?
- BYDUREON is an injectable prescription medicine that may improve blood sugar (glucose) in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus, and should be used along with diet and exercise.
- BYDUREON is a long – acting form of the medication contained in BYETTA. Do not use BYDUREON and BYETTA together.
- BYDUREON is not recommended as the first choice of medication fo r treating diabetes.
- BYDUREON is not insulin.
- It is not known if BYDUREON is safe and effective when used with insulin.
- BYDUREON is no t for use in people with type 1 diabetes or people with a condition caused by very high blood sugar (diabetic ketoacidosis ).
- It is not known if BYDUREON is safe and effective in children. BYDUREON is not recommended for use in children.
- It is not known if BYDUREON is safe and effective in people who have a history of pancreatitis.
- BYDUREON has not been studied in people who have severe kidney problems.