Trade Name: Venclexta™
Venetoclax is the generic name for the trade chemotherapy drug Venclexta™. In some cases, health care professionals may use the trade name Venclexta™ when referring to the generic drug venetoclax.
Drug Type: Venetoclax is an Antineoplastic Agent; BCL-2 Inhibitor (for more detail, see “how this drug works” below).
What Venetoclax Is Used For:
Indicated for the treatment of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) with 17p deletion, as detected by an FDA approved test, who have received at least one prior therapy.
Note: If a drug has been approved for one use, physicians may elect to use this same drug for other problems if they believe it may be helpful.
How Venetoclax Is Given:
- Venetoclax is a tablet, taken by mouth. The recommended maximum starting dose is 20mg administered orally once daily for 7 days, followed by a weekly ramp-up dosing schedule to the recommended daily dose of 400mg.
- Venetoclax should be taken orally once daily with a meal and water.
- Dosage may be adjusted based on side effects.
- Take venetoclax exactly as prescribed.
- Swallow venetoclax tablets whole. Do not crush, chew, break or dissolve tablets.
- Do not change your dose or stop venetoclax.
- Take your dose of venetoclax at approximately the same time each day. If you miss a dose of venetoclax by less than 8 hours, take the missed dose right away. Then take your next dose as usual. If you miss a dose of venetoclax and it has been more than 8 hours, wait and take the next dose of venetoclax at your usual time.
- Do not take more than 1 dose of venetoclax at one time. Call your health care provider right away if you take too much.
- You should not drink grapefruit juice, eat grapefruit, Seville oranges (often used in marmalades), or starfruit while you are taking venetoclax. These foods may increase the amount of venetoclax in your blood.
The amount of venetoclax that you will receive depends on many factors, your general health or other health problems, and the type of cancer or condition being treated.